Traditional Thai Yoga Massage is an ancient form of therapeutic healing, which has its roots in India. The founding father of Thai Massage, Jivaka Kumarbhaccha, was a celebrated yogi and a doctor in the ancient healing tradition of ayurveda. The word ayurveda derives from two Sanskrit words: ayur, meaning “life,” and veda, meaning “knowledge”.
From there, Thai Massage was brought to Thailand over 2000 years ago by Ayurvedic doctors and Buddhist monks. The holistic body work combines acupressure, energy balancing, stretching, and applied yoga exercises while it balances the 5 interactive koshas and resolve blockages. The 5 koshas are:
- The Physical Body
- (Annamaya Kosha): this includes our “solid” body like our tissues and organs.
- The Energy Body (Pranamaya Kosha): this includes our “fluid” body such as our circulation and breathing.
- The Psycho-Emotional Body (Manomaya Kosha): this includes our “mental” body such as our thoughts and emotions.
- The Wisdom Body (Vijnanamaya Kosha): this includes our “cognitive” body such as our intellect and intuition.
- The Bliss Body (Anandamaya Kosha): this includes our “spiritual” body that knows it is always connected to “One & All” and hence lives with gratitude, appreciation and happiness in treating life here on Earth as the amazing gift it is.
According to Ayurvedic science, there is an extensive network of energy lines running throughout the body. It is through the massaging, pressing and stretching of this network of energy lines (Sen lines in the Pranamaya kosha) that Thai Yoga Massage releases tension. Due to physical or emotional trauma, bad posture, injuries or limiting belief systems this energy can get trapped or blocked, causing physical and emotional dis-ease. Thai Yoga Massage with its amazing multitude of techniques and adjustments can release these blockages and bring the body back to its natural equilibrium where perfect balance and wellbeing are present. This way it improves and encourages good body posture, breathing, flexibility and digestion. Regular Thai massage is a good way to maintain your health and prevent disease (as all disease manifests first on the energy level and can be treated there before it becomes physical) and it will definitely leave you feeling deeply nourished, relaxed, and filled with energy.
Cost: 1.5-2 hrs – $800 pesos
MA, Licensed Thai Yoga Masseuse